Outdoor recreation programs provide authorized patrons with outdoor recreational opportunities and instructional classes to support independent skills and provide a safe, healthy, fun environment for Marines and their families. The outdoor recreation equipment checkout & rental program rents a variety of equipment on a daily or weekly basis. This service is available to Marines, family members, retirees and DoD civilians.
Outdoor Connection (ODC) Recreational Rental Center
Outdoor Connection (ODC) is your one stop for recreational equipment rentals. Located off Roosevelt Road near Devil Dog Gym, Outdoor Connection has everything you need for outdoor fun, including kayaks, inflatables, lawn and garden equipment, camping gear, outdoor games, and more. You can also refill your propane tanks right here on the base. Give us a call at 252-466-4058 when planning your next outdoor activity
Equipment Rentals & Price Lists
Call 252-466-4058 to confirm availability of specific items
- Refill by the gallon: $3.50
- 20lb refill: $16
- 30lb refill: $23
- 100 lb refill: $75
Outdoor Theater System
With this 16' x 9' system, you’ll be able to enjoy your favorite movies, video games, live TV shows and more, right in the comfort of your own backyard or community space. It only takes a few short minutes to prepare the screen, using the powerful air blower and securing the sides of the screen with the included stakes and tethers. After inflating the screen, simply plug in the audiovisual console and speaker system, insert your media, and you’re ready to screen movies under the stars.
- $150.00 per day
Rental Policies & Procedures
- The ODC accepts Cash, Personal Checks, Credit Cards (Visa or MasterCard only), and Debit Cards.
- Authorized patrons for ODC are Active Duty, reservists on Active Duty, and their Dependents, and DoD authorized personnel. Military/DoD ID cards must be presented at time of reservation and at time of pickup.
- Reservations can be made up to thirty (30) days in advance for any reservable item and can be reserved for any length of time.
Payment and Balance Policy
- All reservations for equipment require 50% payment of the entire rental amount within 3 days to hold the item(s) for date(s) requested. Reservations will not be confirmed without payment.
- Remaining balances on reserved items must be paid in full at the time of, or prior to, item pick-up. Persons with unpaid balances will not be permitted to take reserved item.
- Cancellations will be accepted for full refunds up to 72 hours prior to reservation pick-up. Cancellations within 72 hours (three days) of reservation will result in forfeiture of the deposit. Customers who originally paid in cash may receive a cash refund if the total amount is less than $100. Please see ODC staff for further clarification of refunds.
- The ODC staff will inspect all outgoing items in conjunction with the renting party for damages and areas of concern with each item.
- An open bed truck or trailer is required for all inflatable rentals. Small vehicles will not be granted possession of inflatables for transport due to safety concerns.
- Most items issued by ODC may be reserved; reservable items include all inflatables (moonwalks), sumo suit sets, pig cooker grills, canopies, dunk tanks, theater systems, bleachers, and rock walls. Reservations are accepted in person or over the phone.
- Any non-reservable items are available on a first come first served basis and can be picked up at anytime during business hours and must be turned in by close of business the following day.
- MCCS has an off-the-installation towing limit. You are responsible for any and all costs associated with towing off-the-installation and back on.
Waiver of Liability
- All customers wishing to checkout items from the ODC are required to sign the MCCS Recreation Checkout Agreement and the MCCS Hold Harmless Agreement. Items may not leave the compound without this signed agreement.
Equipment Check-Out Times
- Checkout Procedures – Equipment checkouts will be completed during normal posted business hours only. Please allow at least one (1) hour for all rental checkouts.
General Item Returns and Sanitation
- All items must be returned with a reasonable amount of cleanliness. Items that return to MCCS requiring a greater than reasonable cleaning effort will be charged a cleaning fee for each item not in proper condition. The cleaning fee is equal to the daily rental rate.
- All reservable Items must be returned on the due date indicated before 9:00am. Failure to return on time will result in items being assessed a late fee. All late fees are due upon return of the item.
- Late fees:
- Waiting Rental Reservation – One day late fee at twice the regular daily rate, plus cost of lost rental amount.
- No Waiting Rental Reservation – Late fee at the regular daily rate until item is returned.
After Hours Returns
- Customers are not allowed to leave their rental at the ODC after hours as a means of returning items. Customers who return items in this manner are subject to replacement and/or repair of any equipment left unattended and are deemed responsible for damaged or stolen equipment as a result.
Inflatables Returns and Sanitation
- Inflatables are required to come back clean of all debris, completely dry and rolled properly, with all bags, straps, and accessories included; failure to do so will result in a cleaning and sanitation fee for each inflatable not in proper condition. The cleaning and sanitation fee is equal to the daily rental rate.
Grill/Pig Cooker Returns and Sanitation
- All grills/pig cookers are required to be returned clean and emptied of debris prior to returning to the ODC. All food debris must be cleaned and properly disposed of. The cleaning fee is equal to the daily rental rate.
- Inflatables will not be issued in weather conditions that predict temperatures below 40 degrees. Using inflatable games and/or bounce houses in temperatures below 40 degrees may pose a safety risk as seams may not be able to seal properly causing the inflatable to not fully fill with air. It is the patrons’ responsibility to ensure proper use, or no use, of inflatables that are in their possession when the temperature drops below 40 degrees. Any damages deemed caused by use in cold temperatures, or misuse of the item in these conditions, will be the responsibility of the customer.
- Inflatables should never be utilized when winds speeds are in excess of 20 miles an hour. Using inflatables in these conditions could result in the inflatable becoming unstable and injuries to those inside.
- Inflatables must be supervised at all times when inflated. Guidelines and setup procedures will be provided to the customer at the time of pickup.
Working Order Understanding
- All items are issued in proper working order. It is the responsibility of the customer to ensure they have a full and proper understanding of the use and utilization of the item they are renting. The ODC staff will assist in answering any questions to ensure the customers’ understanding. MCCS is not liable for damages to property, injury or other instances which result from the improper use or knowledge of the item rented.
- In the event that an item malfunctions while in the customers’ possession, contact the ODC for assistance. All attempts will be made to troubleshoot the problem over the phone, but in the case that a fix cannot be made, the item will be inspected upon return and a course of action decided. If you are in the local area, you may bring the item by for an exchange or repair.
Unit/Squadron Rentals (Chits)
The information listed below issues guidelines for use of equipment for commands conducting unit events. “Unit events” are those designated by the MCCS Coordinator as official events, all functions not designated as “unit events”, will be charged the standard rental fee regardless of day.
Items which fall under the “chit policy” category are:
- Theater Systems
- Ice chests
- Water coolers
- Rock climbing walls
- Pig cookers (units will be charged for the propane required)
- Old Town Canoes
All of the listed items are those normally associated with conducting unit recreational events. Generators can be issued for the full rental fee.
Chit Policies & Procedures:
ODC chits are for “official use only” in support of unit/family events (not for personal use by unit members).
- The unit/FRO will prearrange ODC item requirements through the MCCS Coordinator (ODC pre-sets items for issue – using the Coordinator ensures that items requested are set aside and ready when the unit desires).
- Unit will provide a responsible Marine/FRO to sign for ODC items (ODC prefers that the same person that signed out the items also signs in the items to ensure that they are returned in same condition as issued).
- ODC will provide items that are paid for with proper chit amounts (see chit policy) or with proper transfer of funds amounts (if changes occur please coordinate with ODC at the earliest opportunity – prefer that unit/FRO works though the MCCS Coordinator for changes as well).
- Equipment needs to be returned as received (properly rolled, cleaned, dry, and in appropriate bags/containers). Damaged (if due to misuse) or missing items may be charged to unit’s Unit and Family Readiness Funds account.
- ODC items are due back the following day not later than 1600 (ODC closes at 1700 and requires time to get items stored).
- ODC grills need to be returned cleaned (ODC has cleaning equipment/hoses at their location so the unit can clean on site upon return – request to use ODC equipment if needed).
- Unit will provide an adequate size working party and vehicle to load/off-load items for the number/size of items requested (ODC is not sufficiently staffed to support load/off-loads). ODC will allow unit to borrow their truck (if not being used) to deliver items on station but truck must be immediately returned for other’s use.
- Canoes/Kayaks need to be transported via ODC racks. Canoes/Kayaks can be issued via full rack (10 canoes or 12 kayaks) or smaller numbers. In order to prevent damage they need to be issued/returned on ODC racks.
- Units maintain responsibility for delivery and return of items. ODC does not have staff to deliver items but will lend the unit their truck to deliver items that require towing like bleachers, canoes, kayaks (on station).
Follow these Steps to Success:
- Unit/FRO submits request through the unit’s MCCS Coordinator
- MCCS Coordinators will submit all requests to ODC including the unit POC via e-mail
- ODC will notify the MCCS Coordinator, via e-mail, that the request has been approved
- The MCCS Coordinator will then notify the unit POC that the request has been approved
- On the date designated, unit POC will proceed to ODC and sign for the requested equipment. The Unit POC is required to have a copy of the confirmation e-mail, and a sufficiently sized working party and vehicle to pick-up/load the equipment
- Upon completion of the event, units will return the equipment to ODC. All equipment is required to be inspected for damage and cleanliness upon return.
Any comments, questions, or recommendations for changes to the above policy can be directed to the unit MCCS Coordinator or the Outdoor Connection Manager.
Outdoor Connection Rentals
* Last check in/check out: 1 hour before closing